"a schlemiel of" meaning 'a lot of'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 15 16:22:24 UTC 2011

What I heard in 1959-60, from fellow-child Johnny Taylor, was "the whole
shmiel." I remember because it sounded so weird and because it my first
encounter with a "shlemiel"-like word.

GB proves I'm not crazy with six exx., the earliest alleged to be from 1974.

There are also 3,700 raw Googlits for "the whole schmiel" in that spelling
alone.

GB has a number of "whole schlemiels" back to 1978.

JL