very minor note on "lady"

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 18 10:05:22 UTC 2011

Speaking of "old woman," I know someone whose nickname since birth was "Old
Woman." Now she really is an old woman (in her 60's).

--Margaret Lee

________________________________
From: victor steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Mon, April 18, 2011 1:33:09 AM
Subject: Re: very minor note on "lady"

 For either a
fraternal address or for an impolite address to an older man, you can
just say the equivalent of "old man". To address a woman as "old
woman" ([starukha]) is close to insulting.

As I was just thinking about it, in light of this exchange, I only now
realized how incredibly counterintuitive these connections are.

VS-)