"unsuck"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 21 13:34:10 UTC 2011

I've said some of this before, but it was years ago.

We can never know, definitively or otherwise, what was going through the
mind of the first, utterly unknown, person to utter the words "It sucks."

So far as anyone can tell, however, during the 1960s and 1970s the phrase
was used solely in vulgar contexts, i.e., by predominantly male speakers who
didn't mind saying "fuck" and "shit" in the same sort of conversations.
Does the experience of anyone here contradict that statement?  How many
believed the phrase was nonsexual when they first heard it?  Very few, I
would guess, unless they were sexually unsophisticated at the time.

The linguistic and sexual ethos of the 1960s also added to a subjective
feeling of certainty that no matter what the speaker might have been
thinking in theory, the the "suck" alluded to was effectively sexual.
Mainstream American culture regarded (or pretended to regard) oral sexuality
of any kind as  "unnatural" and "revolting." Indeed it was a criminal
offense in many or most states.

Nonsexual meanings of "suck" could not claim that kind of resonance and so
would have been unlikely to leap to anyone's mind. A person who "sucked" was
generally regarded as unnatural and revolting in ways that may now
seem incredible in the context of today's popular and sexual culture. Except
in sub rosa pornography, oral sex was never alluded to in popular media.
_Oedipus Rex_ was about the only public mention of incest permissible
outside of clinical studies, and discussion of oral sex was more taboo than
that.  I can remember at least one frequently-aired TV commercial of recent
years that, in 1963, would have gotten everyone involved thrown in jail,
with few to defend their sense of humor.

And as we know, high-school men's room graffiti of the period frequently
asserted that So-and-So (male or female) "sucks."  If not quite a cliche, "X
sucks" was a familiar scrawled statement. That fact alone could have set the
metaphor going in many minds at many separate locations.

As Ben observes also, metaphorical examples with non-sexual objects
("wind/rope/eggs/titty/soup" etc.) are nearly nonexistent. (The only
exception might be "suck gas," which appears to be a deliberate pun on the
fairly common "suck ass.") If "suck" had had a nonsexual origin, one would
expect these phrases to be extremely common. They are not.  In
contrast, many sexual or scatological objects are added to make the phrase
even more forceful, further supporting the notion that "sucks" is
overwhelmingly associated with linguistci and social taboos.

My suspicion is that the strong taboo on "suck" began to erode, speaker by
speaker, when children began to pick the phrase from their elders, assuming
that it was just a synonym for the once ubiquitous, impolite but hardly
taboo "stink"  (which is now amazingly uncommon, at least in the media).
Like the elders in question, they soon got into the habit of using it,
despite or because of parental disapproval.

It is hardly gratuitous to observe that James Blake was in prison, a
linguistically coarse environment, when he seems to have recorded
the earliest discovered metaphorical "sucks" in 1963. It seems to be beyond
dispute that the overwhelming majority of speakers between the 1960s and the
1990s (and probably even today) found obvious (not to mention transgressive)
sexual overtones in "It sucks," even if today the overtones are
comparatively muted. That is as close as we can ever get to saying
what "sucks" "really meant."

JL