"unsuck"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 21 15:12:37 UTC 2011

At 4/21/2011 09:34 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>How many believed the phrase was nonsexual when they first heard it?

Me.

>Very few, I would guess, unless they were sexually unsophisticated
>at the time.

Me.  :-)

But seriously, I still take "it sucks" as nonsexual, albeit vulgar --
"it (worse than) stinks".  Although I do not disclaim having
recognized the sexual association and possible origin.  And is
"1971    T. Mayer Weary Falcon 156   This fucking operation eats shit
. It sucks." (the earliest I see in the OED for "it sucks") sexual,
or "merely" scatological?

Joel