of eggcorns and Eskimos

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat Apr 23 20:46:11 UTC 2011

I'll bet an Eskimo's elderly behind get chilly . . . .

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Laurence Horn [laurence.horn at YALE.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:56 AM

 From last Sunday's NYTBR (yes, I'm a week behind), in a review of TIm
Sandlin's new novel _Lydia_ by Mike Peed (imagine getting through
middle school with that name):

At 58, she acts as if she's 20 and, of a benign nonagenarian,
gleefully quips, "Don't you admire the Eskimo ritual of leaving their
elderly behind on an ice flow?"
Nice to be reminded that when they're not inventing new words for
"snow"--or "ice"--or rubbing noses, Eskimos are busy practice their
traditional ways of addressing the high cost of Medicare outlays.