tornado advisory terms

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 28 14:55:03 UTC 2011

Yeah, but get this. Every fifteen minutes last night we were
getting "Tornado Warnings" from the National Weather Service in Morristown,
TN.  To my surprise, each one of these warnings (and they were indeed called
"Tornado Warnings" both on screen and in the voiceover) was a warning for
"severe thunderstorms that could produce tornadoes."  More startling, the
voiceover went on to say "This tornado will be at X at such-and-such a time,
at Y, etc., etc.," The word "tornado" was explicitly used even when there
was no tornado. And, fortunately, there mostly wasn't.

To use "tornado" to mean "violent thunderstorm" can only lead to confusion
and possibly worse. In fact, in my day (i.e., before this year) a "Tornado
Warning" was indeed issued only when a funnel cloud (aloft or on the ground)
had actually been sighted. Anything short of that was a "Tornado Watch,"
which would be issued if tornado-spawning thunderstorms were possible.
(Actual advancing thunderstorms came under the heading of "Severe
Thunderstorm Warning.")

I don't understand (and therefore fear) the change in terminology.

JL