(across the) "block" ~= street, and the OED?

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 30 13:10:04 UTC 2011

Here's a link to the old algorithm:

http://www.ny.com/locator/algorithm.html

I forgot that 6th Ave also violates the 'rule', going negative.
Frankly, I haven't thought about this in over 20 years, and I
apologize for oversimplifying, although I still use my simple version
to get around the city. It works. I ignore the uptown avenues,
because, as a Brooklyn boy I had no need for straying up there -- for
me Manhattan ended at 97th St., except for Columbia U., which was an
exotic pioneer outpost when I took classes there during HS.

As you can see, the rule applies for Alphabet City (Aves A - D) and
1st and 2nd. For 3rd Ave and west, the adjustment ranges from +8 to
+15, which I used to approximate in my head as +10. Madison, Park and
Lex all had their own rules, because they had their own starting
points (23rd, 34th, 20th) which approximate the adjustment.

The avenues that are just extensions of numbered avenues (Amsterdam,
Columbus, West End) "start" at 59th St., which again approximates
their adjustment.

DanG