(across the) "block" ~= street, and the OED?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 30 01:22:27 UTC 2011

My recollection is much like Larry's.

ISTR a lengthy disquisition plus formulae in the _World Almanac and Book of
Facts 1953_. Or was it the _Information Please Almanac 1957_?

But maybe I was just too young to grasp the simplicity. Cab drivers also
carry the secret in printed detail.

JL