(across the) "block" ~= street, and the OED?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Apr 30 01:10:17 UTC 2011

At 4:16 PM -0400 4/29/11, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>The general rule for Manhattan avenues is 400 numbers per 20 blocks = 1 mile.
>
>Fifth Avenue never followed a good single rule, however.
>
>Because the avenues did not all start counting at the same place,
>there is no effective "zero" street, although Houston St. is the
>closest to serving that role.
>
>If you take a house number, divide by 20, and add +3 (from the East
>River thru 2nd Ave.) or +10 (3rd Ave thru 9th Ave.) or +15 (Fifth
>Ave.), you'll have a good estimate of the cross street.
>
>DanG

I remember it being much more complicated; there was a legend in the
beginning of the Manhattan phone book that provided a constant for
each avenue, and it was definitely not as simple as "3rd Ave thru 9th
Ave", but a different one for 784 Lexington, 1197 8th Ave., 1450
Broadway (my father's office building--guess which cross street?),
etc. etc. I remember the first time I visited a different city where
there was a simple algorithm for determining cross streets and it
seemed like cheating.

LH