(across the) "block" ~= street, and the OED?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Apr 29 22:30:16 UTC 2011

My mother, back in the '50s and later, had a little book with which
one could calculate the location of addresses in Manhattan-- on the
avenues; perhaps also on the streets (I'm not sure about the
latter).  So there were formulas, at least after the fact.  IIRC, the
"general rule" was observed more in the exception -- the formulas
varied depending on the avenue, and not just by the axis crossing
(the zero point), also by the slope (multiplier).

Joel