Misinterpretation of name of a Civil War bullet

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 2 02:11:24 UTC 2011

Nice try, Larry.

But no.

The writer may have been trying to say that a man shooting a rifle loaded
with a Minie ball might fire accurately at 250 yards, but the ball could
still be deadly at 500. That may be an understatement:  Minie balls were
.58-caliber, conical, and made of soft lead; in other words, huge dumdum
bullets.

JL