Misinterpretation of name of a Civil War bullet

Dave Hause dwhause at JOBE.NET
Sun Aug 7 00:21:30 UTC 2011

Yes, soft lead Minie balls would expand somewhat on impact, but "dumdum" is
slang for soft-point or hollow-point **jacketed** bullets which are designed
for controlled expansion, which Minie balls were not.  The modern Foster (or
Forster) rifled slug for shotguns is the rough equivalent of the Minie,
although the hollow base is intended to keep it flying nose first.  How much
they expand, typically fired at higher velocities than (US) Civil War
muzzle-loading black powder rifles, is debatable.
Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
Waynesville, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Lighter" <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: Misinterpretation of name of a Civil War bullet

Nice try, Larry.

But no.

The writer may have been trying to say that a man shooting a rifle loaded
with a Minie ball might fire accurately at 250 yards, but the ball could
still be deadly at 500. That may be an understatement:  Minie balls were
.58-caliber, conical, and made of soft lead; in other words, huge dumdum
bullets.

JL