More on substituting

Sat Aug 6 02:50:03 UTC 2011

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Check it out:
>
> "There's no substitute for beer."  That means beer is good: accept no
> substitutes.
>
> "Champagne is no substitute for beer." That mean beer is good: better than
> champagne.
>
> If you're with me so far (and I'll bet somebody isn't), the following
> sentence is insane:
>
> "Eloquence is no substitute for dubious reasoning."

Jon: Do you think the following examples may be similar to the one
that you are critiquing?

Bottomline: Volume 2, Part 2
National Council of Savings Institutions (U.S.) - 1985 - Snippet view
High yields are no substitute for poor credit or overpriced
properties; pity those who have had to learn this the hard way.

The motor ship: Volume 58
1977 - Snippet view
Q COLLISION-AVOIDANCE radar systems are no substitute for poor
officers or a guarantee of safe passage. These are among the major
(and perhaps obvious, a cynic might say) findings of a study carried
out by Liverpool Polytechnic College ...

Introduction to floriculture
Roy A. Larson - 1992 - 636 pages - Snippet view
Growth retardants should be considered as one of the many tools
available to the grower. They are no substitute for poor cultural
practices.

Here is my interpretation of this construct when it is used in the manner above.

X is no substitute for Y.
X cannot or should not be used to mask or minimize the problems
associated with Y. X cannot be used to  ameliorate Y.

(Of course, I am not passing judgment on whether this is proper or
improper English. This is a descriptivist analysis by a layperson.)
[Examples are unverified snippets from Google Books.]