Because X

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Aug 17 02:19:05 UTC 2011

A construction I've noticed in the last year or two, and don't recall having seen discussed here, is in the form Because X, where X is a noun rather than the longer phrase you would expect to see.  The implication is that the mere mention of X is sufficient for a compelling argument.  Sometimes Because and X are separated by "you know."  Here's an example from a recent webcomic strip, Something Positive, http://somethingpositive.net/sp08122011.shtml:

Donna:  Vanessa, can I talk to you?

Vanessa:  Depends.  Do I have to stop eating cookies?  Cuz, y'know, cookies.

Unfortunately, "because" is a sufficiently common word that it isn't easy to search for the construction.

John Baker