dead man's switch

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 18 01:43:20 UTC 2011

My primary initial interest was in "dead man's switch", because it's not
even IN the OED. But this is a great find. There are two pointers that
suggest that this is a fairly early use. First, the patent indicates that
the field has not been exhausted. Second, the identification of
"sometimes-known" also suggests that it's a novelty. If there was a
variation in naming of a fairly common object, the description likely would
have involved multiple names--as the OED 1908 citation includes both handle
and knob. So the expression can't be more than a few years older than
1902--of course, the first electric trains are not much older either.

VS-)