"gink"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 31 16:54:38 UTC 2011

All six copies of "The Besom Maker" in the Bodleian Library's broadside
collection have "gink."

The earliest date is some time from 1819 through 1844.

I've never seen "gink" used in this way. If I had to guess, I'd guess that
the once very common "chink" was intended, via a voiced pronunciation like
"jink" and {g} for {j}. Unlikely, but maybe no less unlikely than that a
genuine "gink" ('money') existed more or less independently of "chink."

That there are six copies produced by at least three printers doesn't mean
anything: the printers copied each other's ballads ad lib.

The song looks like it was inspired by the title and refrain of Burns's "Buy
Broom Besoms," about a broom-seller looking for a wife. That contains
neither "gink" nor "chink."

JL