What's shakin', bacon?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 4 22:46:51 UTC 2011

I've been hearing this salutation daily on a Progressive Insurance
commercial for weeks.  Urban Dictionary has it only from May 8, 2011,
but this site takes it back to 2007, with other similar inquiries,
some perhaps nonce:

http://ask.metafilter.com/76081/Whats-the-deal-Banana-Peel

A surprising rejuvenation of an old pattern from the '40s: "What's
buzzin', cousin?" "What's the story, morning glory?"

Of course, "See you later, alligator" ('50s) and the response "In a
while, crocodile" have never quite disappeared. (I have a friemnd who
used to say, "On the Nile....")

JL