What's shakin', bacon?

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 5 00:30:58 UTC 2011

I don't find anything particularly surprising about the "what's shakin'
bac'n?" pattern and there is a possible reason for its existence quite
aside from "rejuvenation of an old pattern". It may well be an clever
extension of "shake'n'bake" instead.

As for "See you later alligator", if for no other reason, it's been kept
alive by Lubriderm commercials, although they lack the witty retort--which
is, nonetheless, implied. Aside from that, I've been hearing from
elementary-to-middle-school students virtually continuously since I learned
it myself (in college--but my sister was in elementary school at the time).

VS-)