up the yin-yang

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 5 01:10:43 UTC 2011

It's very tempting to do that just because of symmetry--I've caught myself
doing that on more than one occasion. And if you're not aware of the
original, it makes it that much worse. Incidentally, Russians used to have
the same endings on both words--but how it is pronounced now I have no
idea. A lot of old borrowings have undergone a transformation to reflect
English or Anglicized spelling over the past 20 years and this might have
been one of them--and that's in addition to quite a number of English words
borrowed wholesale only to acquire Russian suffixes (e.g., "parkovka" for
"parking").

VS-)