up the yin-yang

Sun Dec 4 23:35:48 UTC 2011

It may be possible that the concept of "yin and yang" has affected "up the ying-yang" for many people, including myself.

There is a possible opposite effect, too. "ying and yang" gets 950K Googits.

In the episode "The Second Coming" of the Sopranos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Coming_(The_Sopranos)), Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini) says:

"There's a balance. There's a ying and a yang."

He is very clear and the subtitles have "ying" as well.

Although both Spanish and French use the "yin" spelling, the Spanish subtitles follow along with the incorrect pronunciation: "Hay un equilibro, un ying y un yang" but the French subtitles do not: "Il y a un équilibre. Il y a un yin et un yang."

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA