What's shakin', bacon?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 5 01:44:14 UTC 2011

Great shirts, Arnold.

I heard "Not too soon, you big baboon!" in 1970 as a comeback to "See
you later, alligator!"

It's in HDAS in the citation block for "baboon."

I am reminded of the elocutionary cliche', "How now, brown cow?"

Could this have been the progenitor? (I've never encountered it used
as a salutation, but Urbandicitioary has.)

I heard it from my grandparents in the 1950s. GB appears to have it from 1926.

JL