" 'Vocal Fry' Creeping into U.S. Speech"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 12 23:00:28 UTC 2011

Ah (I love saying that) but were they so evidently (or
pseudo-evidently) *affected* since forever?

The current perception of many - including myself and those people in
Australia - is that the creaky sound is associated with certain sorts
of (esp. female) speakers in certain sorts of usu. condescending or
disdainful contexts.

Is this perception all a delusion? If so, what accounts for it?

JL