" 'Vocal Fry' Creeping into U.S. Speech"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 13 01:07:39 UTC 2011

"these 'low, creaky vibrations' have been common since forever"

Not like what's happening now.  It's the ladies putting on airs.  My take is that it takes a relaxed throat to make that sound.  Not uptight.  A California rich girl ho hum attitude.  Above it all.  Fey.  A social power move.  Intentionally practiced.  Valley girl.

I wonder if it's an epiglottal flap.

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk