Throne

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 13 01:39:14 UTC 2011

On Dec 12, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Baker, John wrote:

>        So, nonfacetious but still colloquial?
>
>        At some point, absence of evidence becomes evidence of absence.  I only know throne=toilet in the facetious sense, but I'm seeing some fairly compelling evidence of nonfacetious uses.  I don't think I've seen any evidence of noncolloquial uses.  As Doug Wilson suggested, catalogues of appliances/fixtures aimed at plumbers or builders would be a plausible example.
>

> John Baker

Here's one but significantly using "thrones" with scare quotes:
http://www.ohiostatefair.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=261:throne-extension-2011&catid=1:news&Itemid=94

How about this one, offering upgrades of one's throne room at Home Depot?
http://www.bargainmoose.ca/home-depot-canada-10-off-bathroom-updates/
Oh, those funky Canadians!

LH