Henna - update

Wed Dec 21 10:38:42 UTC 2011

In "The Constant Princess" by Phillipa Gregory, the daughters of Queen Isabella are described as having delicate patterns of henna painted on them in 1492. (2006 Touchstone Edition, page 20)

With the most recent citation from 1872, the OED has the following definition for henna:

-----
The Egyptian Privet, Lawsonia inermis (N.O. Lythraceæ); the shoots and leaves of this plant used, esp. by eastern nations, as a dye for parts of the body, or made into a cosmetic with catechu.
-----

>From the citations, "eastern nations" seems to refer to the Middle East and North Africa, but if Gregory is to be believed, then Spain likely needs to be included as a traditional location where henna was performed, and it is common in Western nations as well these days.

Wikipedia says that in addition the plant and henna-derived dye, the word "henna" refers to the art of temporary tattooing with henna (that's the meaning I was aware of). Wikipedia also mentions "black henna" and "natural henna" as not being derived from henna.

The expressions "henna tattoo" and "henna tat" are in common use.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA