"lender/borrower" goes the way of "ancestor/descendant"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 5 04:03:42 UTC 2011

Judging by what I hear on shows like "Judge Mathis," _borrow_ for both
"loan/lend" and "borrow" is commonplace, especially in BE, e.g.

I borrowed him $500.
He borrowed me $500.

You really need to have context in order to be of what happened.
Occasionally, a judge will say, "You mean, you *loaned* him $500/he
*loaned* you $500. But not often, since context always provides the
proper reading.

By sheerest coincidence, a defendant on today's show, a young white
man, surnamed "Page," from Saint Louis, bragged that his _descendants_
had accompanied Lewis & Clark and that one of his direct _descendants_
was the man after whom Page Avenue in Saint Louis was named. That
really caught my attention. That's the street that I grew up on!

Quelle coincidence!

However, it's vanishingly rare for "guests" on trash-TV shows to speak
of any lineage beyond baby daddy / baby mama.

--
-Wilson
–––