FIFA thinks snoods could be a danger to players' necks

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 5 10:35:02 UTC 2011

Big flap over at FIFA over neckware:

http://goo.gl/TfOAH

http://goo.gl/EKmu0
> They are the beautiful game's must-have fashion accessory -- but now
> soccer's governing body are considering a ban on snoods.
> The trend of wearing a neck-warmer has become prevalent in the
> European game, especially in the English Premier League with stars
> such as Manchester City's Carlos Tevez and Arsenal midfielder Samir
> Nasri sporting them.
> But FIFA now say they could be outlawed from football if they are
> proved to be a safety issue.

No, they are not discussing hair nets still popular with Ultra-Orthodox
Jewish women to hold their wigs in place. Somehow the "snood" was
transformed to represent a neck gaiter.

Wiki, of course, has this angle covered. Print dictionaries and their
on-line incarnations are behind the times... At this rate, the trend may
dissipate before they recover.

Someone commented on the soccer fad, "The snood is the new gloves of the
European football." I guess, you had to be there...

     VS-)