Self-identifying as British (was: UKer)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 8 02:55:00 UTC 2011

I wonder if there is not a built-in bias within the
self-identification question.  I can imagine persons (such as
myself), when asked what area/community they identify themselves
with, choosing as the highest rank the most local community (e.g.,
Berwick) and as the lowest rank the least local/most inclusive of
others (e.g., Britain).  Isn't identification with/loyalty to groups
sometimes described by sociologists/ethicists as involving concentric
circles, with the greatest identification/loyalty to the smallest
circle (family)?  Can that effect be separated out, in attempting to
count those who in some sense deny an identity as (e.g.) British?

Joel