Self-identifying as British (was: UKer)

Tue Feb 8 03:00:46 UTC 2011

I did my Ph. D. thesis work in the Borders (and a post-doc in Edinburgh) in a time where the political situation was very different.  The Scottish National Party  was just beginning to make headway, and the Scottish side was a Liberal stronghold.  It was before the first vote on Scottish Devolution, and straddled the Wilson/Callaghan/ and Thatcher years.  Then, in all five places I interviewed in, there were people who did identify as British.  It was a minority view.  In Edinburgh, they tended to be either, I suspect, politically Conservative, or of part or all English parentage.   Because of the clan- and later town-based history of the Scottish Borders, most people in the towns I interviewed in identified with their town first, as Scots second, and Britishers third. Across the Border, they weren't then all that keen to identify as English--they often had some interesting self-identifications, sometimes as Borderers, more frequently as Geordies (NE Northumberland) or as No!
 rthumbrians (Upper Tynedale).  Some actually said that England began not at the Tweed, but at the Tees or the Wear.  The rivalry between Scotland and England was alive and well--since I have a Scottish Borderer's last name, I'd get kidded about being a sheep-stealer in Northumberland.
It affects language too--or did.  One thing you learned early is that each area within the Borders--esp. the Scottish side---has its own dialect, even if they are closely related.  Or they did; Damien will know better what's going on now, but my first impression of the Scottish Borders anyway on my visits is that the whole place has been subsumed into the dialect of the Lothians (Edinburgh).

Paul Johnston