Strange use of "baby daddy"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 17 17:41:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 7:58 AM,  <ronbutters at aol.com> wrote:

> It seems clear enough that "baby daddy" in this context is supposed to be taken to mean 'father of a child born out of wedlock; biological father'.

So, it means,

"Luke, I am the father of your child born out of wedlock; the
biological father of your child"?

Since Luke doesn't have a child, how do those interpretations make
enough sense to be funny? Or any sense at all?

Or is it the case that _baby daddy_ is being forced into the
Procrustean bed of having the same meaning as simple "daddy"? I.e, the
parody lies in the fact that the revised quote is meant to be taken as
non-distinct from

"Luke, I am your daddy."

That would certainly have worked, if the scene were something like:

Luke:

"Who is my father?"

Darth:

"Who's your daddy?! Luke, *I* am your daddy!"

Now, that's worth a slight lifting upward of the corners of the
corners of one's mouth. In fact, if the scene were,

Luke:

"Who is the biological father of my child?"

Darth:

"Luke, *I* am your baby daddy!"

Of course, Luke would still have to have a child.

--
-Wilson
-----