zzz? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 22 17:09:11 UTC 2011

I would look at the Katzenjammer Kids, which originated or popularized many
of the attributes of the modern comic strip, and the artists involved.

This link shows a 1907 Fineheimer Twins cartoon drawn by Harold Knerr, who
later took over the Katzenjammer Kids:

http://www.yodaslair.com/dumboozle/knerr/knerrdex.html
<http://www.yodaslair.com/dumboozle/knerr/knerrdex.html>
http://www.yodaslair.com/dumboozle/knerr/images/ft-1907.jpg

<http://www.yodaslair.com/dumboozle/knerr/images/ft-1907.jpg>Zs are used to
represent the sound of snoring, along with with other letters for other
sleeping sounds.

The first link has another image showing "z-z-z" for snoring, but with no
firm date. I would guess sometime after 1914.

DanG