lolcat bible (UNCLASSIFIED)

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Feb 23 13:28:16 UTC 2011

I notice that the lolcat Bible is said to be available in an audio version.  But aren't eye-dialect and other orthographic features--impossible to capture in speech--essential components of lolcat?

"teh" for 'the'; "skiez" for 'skies'; "Urfs" for 'earth'; "An" for 'on' (all those in the first verse of Genesis 1!).

Amy, I have suggested to my Milton class the possibility of a lolcat translation of _Paradise Lost_ (in blank verse, of course).

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Amy West [medievalist at W-STS.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:11 AM

This came to mind the other day as my almost 15-year-old and his friend
were in the study playing on the computer and really annoyingly speaking
in lolcats (while I was working at my machine).

Is anyone using lolcats as an example of a dialect in courses/academic
study? It occurred to me that it might be/become an "interesting" way
for discussing dialect. Or pidgins? Will it undergo creolization?

(Should I even suggest it as a possible research topic for my Comp. II
class for their research papers? I have them write on
language/linguistic topics.)

--
---Amy West