"we are two peoples separated by a common language" antedated & attributed

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Feb 25 11:59:07 UTC 2011

Though the discussion transcript was published in the 29 October 1942 issue of The Listener, apparently it was broadcast earlier that month.
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Stephen Goranson [goranson at DUKE.EDU]
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 5:18 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "we are two peoples separated by a common language"              antedated              & attributed

Speaking of 1942, might the quote possibly be a retort to the following (sharing "two peoples" and "by a common language")?

Portrait of John Bull; The English are a puzzling people. They resist change, lack imagination. They muddle yet they improvise brilliantly. An American, who knows them well, analyzes their character with sympathy.
By Raymond Daniell
New York Times Sunday Magazine, 14 June, 1942 pg. SM3

The fact is that the two peoples [British and American] , so similar in many things and bound together by a common language, have developed in different environments so that they have evolved into two races which look and sound very much alike but which sometimes infuriate each other because superficial similarity leads to bitter disillusionment and a feeling of frustration.