Heard on Springer: "in the _first_ beginning..."

Fri Feb 25 22:47:08 UTC 2011

JB writes:

> I believe there is in fact a Bible with a "big inning" (faux pas) --
> one that leaves out a "not" from one of the Ten Commandments.  "Thou
> shalt commit adultery"?  Must be that -- it's too often obeyed.

This bible came to have the nickname "The Wicked Bible".

If one knows that, one will be able to Google-search & find . . .
The Wicked Bible, sometimes called The Adulterous Bible or The Sinners' Bible, is a term referring to the Bible published in 1631 by Robert Barker and Martin Lucas, the royal printers in London, which was meant to be a reprint of the King James Bible. The name is derived from the compositors' mistake: in the Ten Commandments (Exodus  20:14) the word not in the sentence "Thou shalt not commit adultery" was omitted. ***
 . . . in Wikipedia.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.  Working on a new edition, though.