Heard on Springer: "in the _first_ beginning..."

Sat Feb 26 00:25:22 UTC 2011

The Bible-baseball pun was employed before the turn of the previous century.

Cite: 1897, Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association,
Minutes of the Forty-Fifth Annual Meeting, First Session, Tuesday,
August 24, 1897, Speaker: Mr Good, American Pharmaceutical
Association. (Google Books full view)

In regard to his biblical allusion, it recalls to my mind the
conundrum that the small boy gave at the breakfast table. He said:
"When was base-ball first mentioned in the Bible?" Everybody gave it
up. It was not in Revelations (laughter), it was in the "big-inning."
(Laughter.)

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q11LAAAAMAAJ&q=inning#v=snippet&q=inning&f=false