pollmo.com "Does the "e" in "England" sound the same as the "i" in "inch?"

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sun Jan 2 22:54:38 UTC 2011

We might remember that in Italian the name of England starts with "I."

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Herb Stahlke [hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 11:24 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Seems to me we've had this conversation before.  For some of us they
are the same, and for others they are not.  Some speakers, like you,
apparently, have a tenser high front vowel before /N/ than before /n/
and other consonants.  Speakers like me have the same vowel in both
places.  For most speakers, including me, there is a slight difference
since /N/ does tend to raise /I/ a little.  The question is how much
for which speakers.  For speakers who perceive the same vowel in both
contexts that amount of raising is not enough to classify the vowel as
tense.  For speakers with the contrast, it seems to be enough.

Herb