to switch gears

Fri Jan 7 18:58:41 UTC 2011

The OED does have a definition for "switch gears". It's annexed from
Webster's 3rd New Internat. and embedded in a quotation.

Shift, v
III. 12. e. To change (gear), move (a gear lever). Also intr., to
change from one gear into another; to shift up or down, to engage a
higher or a lower gear. Also fig.

1961 Webster's 3rd New Internat. Dict. Eng. Lang., Shift gears, to
make a change from one method, tempo, or approach to another.