to switch gears

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 7 20:40:49 UTC 2011

Speaking of what's idiomatic enough for OED, I was wondering about the idiom
"have some work done" as a vague euphemism for having cosmetic surgery.

When somebody (usually a woman) says, "I think she's had some work done,"
regardless of the verbal context, the meaning is unmistakable.

I don't see it in OED.

JL