halitosic

Thu Jan 13 22:56:36 UTC 2011

Halitotic was once named "The Worthless Word for the Day" by the
logophile Michael A. Fischer. The accompanying citation indicated that
the word was used by famed iconoclast H. L Mencken:

halitotic [fr. L. halitus, breath]  /HAL uh TOT ic/?  (characterized
by) having bad breath

[commenting on the forthcoming end of Prohibition, he said] "we have
cast off the cursed yoke imposed by a parcel of  umbrella-brandishing
halitotic harridans who forced the standards of Goosetown and
Waterville, Ohio upon New York,  Chicago and Union Hill, New Jersey."
 - Marion Elizabeth Rodgers, Mencken (2005)

http://home.comcast.net/~wwftd/ghi.htm#halitotic
http://home.comcast.net/~wwftd/archives.html