halitosic

Norm Jensen normjensen at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 13 23:03:23 UTC 2011

On 1/13/2011 11:37 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: halitosic
>
> Are you guys quoting your searches?  I get a million+ hits for
> "halitositic" too, but when quoted about 18.  "halitostic" about
> 22.   "halitoxic" about 207.  ("halitosic" about 684.  "halitotic"
> about 2770.  Larry still wins.)
>
> Joel

If I search Google for "halitositic" (with quotes), I get 11 hits. If I
search for halitositic (without quotes), I get 1,160,000 results - with
this message at the top:

        Showing results for halitosis. Search instead for halitositic

So the result of the search without quotes is actually not the result
for the search I wanted to make, but instead is based on Google's
assumption that I'd rather see a lot more hits.......or something, maybe
that its guess that I misspelled a search term is correct (and it
usually is!). I expect the other searches are working the same way.

Norm