do, v.i.

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 17 22:58:28 UTC 2011

Actually, I think what Christ said was "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

It is transitive if you count the deleted "something" as the direct object--but we find a deleted something in all of JL's examples as well.

"Do [something] unto others which is identical to something that you would like them to do to you."

Even Yoda on Dagobah had some kind of implied [something}, and so did Bill Clinton.

If Yoda, Bill Clinton, the Teabaggers, and Jesus all are doing it, does that make it extraordinary?