Heard on Springer

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri Jan 28 15:24:58 UTC 2011

On 1/28/11 12:02 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Date:    Thu, 27 Jan 2011 05:03:05 -0500
> From:    Wilson Gray<hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Re: Heard on Springer
>
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Amy West<medievalist at w-sts.com>  wrote:
>> >  I'm reading "you got your toe's wet" as, you fooled around
>> >  superficially: using a swimming metaphor instead of a baseball metaphor
>> >  for how much he's violated their monogamous relationship.
>> >
> To what "baseball metaphor" do you refer?

The bases - 1st, 2nd, 3rd. What I had in mind that getting to 1st base
with someone else would be less of a violation of the monogamous
relationship than third. Similarly, "getting one's toes wet" being less
of a violation than "swimming in the deep end". . . (to extend the
metaphor).

Yes, I read your "clearly" as implying that you thought the phrase had a
fixed meaning. I shoulda knowed better.

--
---Amy West