Lockjaw: Locust Valley (1965), Long Island (1972), Larchmont (1973)

Mon Jun 13 07:27:51 UTC 2011

Here are some more examples of word lockjaw used in the description of
a voice or a manner of speech in 1971 and earlier:

In 1953 the prominent critic George Jean Nathan described the speech
pattern of the famous siren Mae West by saying that her lines sounded
"as if she had lockjaw".

Cite: 1953, The Theatre in the Fifties by George Jean Nathan, Page
230, Alfred A. Knopf, New York. (Internet Archive at archive.org)

The only thing routine about her is her routine, which nevertheless
fetches me just as much today as it did years ago when first she
projected a saucy hip, screwed up her nose as if it scented a herring
cannery, executed the hissing drawl that sounds as if she had lockjaw,
and leered suggestively at the customers as if they one and all,
including myself, were as inflammatory and desirable as Rudolph
Valentino.

http://www.archive.org/stream/theatreinthefift006945mbp#page/n243/mode/1up

In 1966 (according to the sometimes accurate Google Books database) an
issue of Esquire contained an article that discussed "Paulies". Based
on extracted text "Paulies" were students who attended St. Paul's
School, a college preparatory school. The article claimed that some
"Paulies" had a "lockjaw accent".

Cite: Esquire magazine, GB date 1966, Issue unknown, Volume 65, Page
92. (Google Books unverified; incomplete snippet; date probes ok)

With attitudes like these it is not difficult to understand how
Paulies have won for themselves the distinction of being known as
Ultimate Preppies. ... Enough speak with "this lockjaw accent" (a
curious amalgam of Yankee and Southern inflections blended by a thick
Gladstonian cadence and often accompanied by sudden, effeminate hand
gestures that can give a phrase the exaggerated emphasis of triple
italics — "Moy Gawd, the flick's just filthy").

http://books.google.com/books?id=-DxXAAAAYAAJ&q=lockjaw#search_anchor

In 1967 (according to GB) an issue of Town & Country contained a
relevant instance of lockjaw. The OCR is terrible, but it looks like
the match is for the phrase "Philadelphia lockjaw" which fits with the
later use of the term "main line" within the article

Cite: Town & Country magazine, GB date 1967, Page 60, Volume 120,
Issue 4535. (Google Books unverified; snippet defective; date probes
look good)

Rule Five: Take pains t» ii> your accent. The ideal is PI phia
Lockjaw, a distinctive inflections and cadences p«u the Main Line but
susceptil simulation. It is rather stt: and undramatic, so you will m
offset this a bit.

http://books.google.com/books?id=TBNUAAAAYAAJ&q=lockjaw#search_anchor

In 1968 (according to GB) a book about the American social
establishment referred to "Main Line lockjaw".

Cite: GB 1968, The Right People: A Portrait of the American Social
Establishment   by Stephen Birmingham, Little Brown and Company, Boston.
(Google Books unverified, Probe shows copyright date of 1968)

As for the accent, Barbara Best calls it "Philadelphia paralysis," or
"Main Line lockjaw," pointing out that it is not unlike "Massachusetts
malocclusion."

http://books.google.com/books?id=Sg2xAAAAIAAJ&q=lockjaw#search_anchor

In September 1971 an article in New York Magazine said that the
comedian Lenny Bruce could imitate a "New England lockjaw accent".

Cite: 1971 September 6, New York Magazine, Tonight at the Blue Angel:
Lenny Bruce by Albert Goldman from the journalism of Lawrence
Schiller, Page 46, Column 1, Volume 4, Number 36, Published by New
York Media, LLC. (Google Books full view)

The way he puts on that New England lockjaw accent! Phew! When it
comes to doing fags, Lenny Bruce is John Gielgud.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_eICAAAAMBAJ&q=lockjaw#v=snippet&

In 1971 (according to GB) Newsweek magazine described Katharine
Hepburn's speaking style as "patrician-lockjaw voice."

Cite: GB 1971, Newsweek, Volume 78, GB Page 407 (Page number must be
wrong.) (Google Books unverified, Volume ok, date probes ok)

It did sound very much like Katharine Hepburn, however — at least to
Kate herself, who was not amused by what she considered an intolerable
mimicry of her own patrician-lockjaw voice.

http://books.google.com/books?id=XtEmAQAAIAAJ&q=lockjaw#search_anchor

Lastly, at no additional cost: two bonus citations for entertainment
and edification:

In September 1948 Billboard magazine used the phrase "lockjaw
voice-throwing" in the description of a vaudeville act. The phrase
apparently referred to ventriloquism.

Cite: 1946 September 28, Billboard, Vaudeville Reviews, Loew's State,
New York, Page 42, Column 2, Published by Nielsen Business Media, Inc.
 (Google Books full view)

Top mitt-puller was Rex Weber's legit singing and voice-throwing
routines. As a straight singer, the short chunky guy showed a terrific
set of pipes. ... Working with his wife, Lee Leonard, Weber's lockjaw
voice-throwing brought gasps of surprise. Weber's blond toupee helps a
lot.

http://books.google.com/books?id=LRoEAAAAMBAJ&q=lockjaw#v=snippet&

In 1936 (according to GB) the author and critic Graham Greene used the
word lockjaw while lambasting an actor's performance.

Cite: GB 1936, The Spectator, GB Page 1037, Volume 157. (Google Books
unverified; date probes look good)

The credit is all Mr. Hurst's, for the dialogue is stagy, and the
principal actor, Mr. John Lodge, continues to suffer from a kind of
lockjaw, an inability to move the tight muscles of his mouth, to do
anything but glare with the dumbness and glossiness of an injured
seal. Graham Greene.

http://books.google.com/books?id=4NkhAQAAMAAJ&q=lockjaw#search_anchor

Garson