_Hardleg_, UD 2006:

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 22 13:18:57 UTC 2011

At 8:04 AM -0400 6/22/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Wilson's sense is in HDAS, from 1946 [!].

More specifically, 'any man or boy, esp. if tough'. Along with a
second one for 'an ugly or debauched woman; a hardened prostitute'.
Two Black English lexicons are cited that converge on the disjunction
'any man or an ugly woman'.

Curious.

>The UD's isn't.

Well, if the assumption is that a male person is invariably talking
about sex...

LH