"Not once but twice" triggers subj-aux inversion?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 27 18:11:52 UTC 2011

At 1:43 PM -0400 6/27/11, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>It's OK to be positive. The Bible tells me so.
>
>Psalm 106:43
>Many times did he deliver them; but they provoked him with their counsel, and
>were brought low for their iniquity.
>
>DanG

Yes, back then--or in poetry, a few centuries beyond then--just about
any fronted adverb or prepositional phrase could trigger inversion

Oft have I sighed for him who hears me not      [Campion, c. 1610]
Much have I traveled in the realms of gold.     [Keats, 1816]

But it's gradually become associated with negative adverbials.

LH