eye dialect was RE: nekkid

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 15 14:55:07 UTC 2011

An interesting accusation made against the NYTimes:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/03/new_york_times_drops_tim_palen.html?mid=372984&rid=399862378

<http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/03/new_york_times_drops_tim_palen.html?mid=372984&rid=399862378>
Did the *Times* Drop Tim Pawlenty’s *G* for Him?

   - 3/14/11 at 10:45 AM
   - *15*Comments<http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/03/new_york_times_drops_tim_palen.html#comments>

In a story on likely presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty's attempts to
appeal to every constituency in the Republican Party (as opposed to just the
tea partiers or just the evangelicals, etc.), the
*Times<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/us/politics/14pawlenty.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
* observes that the former Minnesota governor adopted a Southern drawl in a
speech in Iowa recently:

At a faith forum last week in Iowa, he displayed vigor. But the next day at
the Statehouse, the talk among several Republicans was that it seemed he had
suddenly developed a Southern accent as he tried connecting to voters by
speaking louder and with more energy.

The political blog of Radio Iowa heard it too and noted, “Pawlenty seems to
be adopting a Southern accent as he talks about his record as governor.” As
he spoke of the country’s challenges, he dropped the letter G, saying: “It
ain’t gonna be easy. This is about plowin’ ahead and gettin’ the job done.”

Frankly, we haven't heard Pawlenty speak enough to know if the folksy accent
he exhibited in the speech was uncommon for him. But we're at least pretty
sure that we hear Pawlenty say *getting*, not *gettin'*, in the line plucked
out by the *Times*. Watch the clip and determine for yourself whether the *
Times* is nitpickin'.

Campaigning as All Things to All
Republicans<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/us/politics/14pawlenty.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
 [NYT]