eye dialect was RE: nekkid

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 15 15:08:32 UTC 2011

In the backwoods of Noo Yawk City, they do say "dawgs," which is audibly
more rounded than /dOg/.

In Georgia, however, "dawg" must represent /d^Og/, if it represents anything
- but that's what most Georgiams say.

So to me, Georgia "dawg" isn't eye dialect; it's a clumsy representation of
real dialect.

As is NYC "dawg."  Of course, to folks like Charlie, I say "dawg" too.
But what I say isn't "dawg" *or* "dawg."  It's just "dog."
JL