eye dialect was RE: nekkid

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 15 16:26:35 UTC 2011

At 2:38 PM +0000 3/15/11, Charles C Doyle wrote:
>Similarly with the proud University of Georgia "Dawgs" ('bulldogs').
>
>Not just "kum" but "cum" for 'male ejaculate' must have originated
>as eye-dialect--and "cum" has become almost the accepted
>"scientific" term!

There is also the homonymy avoidance motivation at work.  Do we know
if "cum" began as a noun or a verb? Neither is in Farmer & Henley,
and I don't have JL's cumpendium on me at the moment and the OED just
has the Latin preposition.  The orthographic distinction does appear
to be here to stay--I'm surprised no one has registered .cum as a
domain suffix for porn sites.

>There's a folk belief (at least) that in the South "misspellings"
>with "K" used to signal commercial concerns that were sympathetic to
>the Ku Klux Klan (n.b. the spelling "Klan").  E.g. "Krispy Kreme."
>I doubt if that's true any longer.

And then, from the other side of the ideological continuum, there is
(or at least was) "Amerika".  Not to mention "AmeriKKKa".

LH