Jazz, was:RE: [ADS-L] Q: "Earliest written reference to baseball"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 16 15:31:03 UTC 2011

At 10:16 AM -0400 3/16/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>My tentative belief for decades has been that it is a form of _jasm_,
>which is attested for decades before 1912.
>
>It meant both both "energy" and "seminal fluid." Presumably "energy" came
>first.

as it were

>(Cf. the similar development of  - mainly British - _spunk_.)
>
>JL

I've long suspected, although without checking with a native speaker,
that innocent "spunk", as in "He's got a lot of spunk", is
taboo-avoided in British English, while it barely raises an eyebrow
on this side of the pond.

LH, who just encountered another innocent "I'll knock you up" offer
in Dorothy L. Sayers