status quo = 'situation'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 18 15:18:16 UTC 2011

Or maybe 'long-term situation.'  Truly, who can say?:

2011 Reuters  http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110318/bs_nm/us_markets_oil (March
18): "We may be facing the possibility of an entrenched status quo between
pro and anti Gaddafi groups," said Harry Tchilinguirian, analyst at BNP
Paribas.

Though OED defines "status quo" as "the existing state of affairs," it
usually implies a contrast of that state with a different one.
In the ex. above, there's no contrast that I can see.

JL